Pumpkins & Lace
a little bit shabby & chic...
I love pumpkins, paint, lace doilies, and blingy-vintage embellishments! If you put them all together, you may end up with Chippy, Milk paint; vintage inspired decorative pumpkins.
Be sure to scroll to the bottom where there is a DIY link, and you can view a "How To" video.
- Styrofoam pumpkins (also pictured here is an assortment of real pumpkins)
- lace doilies & "blingy" drawer pulls that I picked up at Trends Vintage Marketplace & Co. a local vintage home & garden store
- Gesso (used this because I had the product on hand)
- Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint (used this because I had the product on hand)
- Annie Sloan Wax (clear & dark) (used this because I had the product on hand)
- Tim Holtz® Idea-ology® Word Keys
- Glue gun
I first applied a layer of Gesso as a basecoat. Gesso is used as a bonding agent and allows the milk paint to adhere to the surface and prevents flaking. I removed the stems so that I could replace them with the drawer pulls. I was surprised at how easy they were to remove. They were lightly glued and had the support of a toothpick in the center. I used an Exacto knife to lift up the base of the stem, and it practically popped off without a lot of damage to the Styrofoam. I used two light coats of milk paint allowing each coat to dry in between. I allowed the painted pumpkins to dry overnight and then I applied the wax finish. On the dried lavender pumpkin, I used the clear wax and on the eulalie's sky, I used a combination of both the clear and the dark wax.
The colors used for this project were, eulalie's sky & dried lavender.
Click on the link provided in the supply list to get more information on milk paint.
Pictured below is the Tim Holts idea-ology accessories. I attached the word keys on with twine to add an extra touch of shabby chic.
Click on the link provided in the supply list to get more information.
I had previously made two cream colored crochet flowers, not knowing what I would use them for, I had stashed them away. I steamed them into shape and decided they would be a lovely addition to the lace doily and bedazzled bobble stem.